Pumpernickel Sandwich

Thursday, February 23, 2012

I want to introduce you to the most delicious sandwich! I am hooked on it right now. I swear I eat one or two for lunch almost everyday. This is a sandwich that our mother would make for us on occasion when we were kids. I don’t think I really appreciated it until I was an adult. Now it has become one of my favorite sandwiches!

SONY DSC

I think that I have just decided to call this the BPT (Bacon Pumpernickel Tomato)

Ingredients:

  • Pumpernickel bread
  • Bacon
  • Tomato
  • Avocado
  • Alfalfa sprouts
  • Munster Cheese
  • (Optional) Cream cheese or hummus

This sandwich is super easy to assemble. After all it is just a sandwich. I thought I would offer some helpful tips on how best to go about it.

1. Cook your bacon. Or on lazy days, I use precooked bacon. It doesn’t even need to be reheated before putting it on the sandwich. You will be putting this sandwich in the broiler for a few minutes and the bacon will reheat during that step.

2. Start to assemble your sandwich. Lay down one slice of pumpernickel. Then spread a little cream cheese or hummus on top of the bread. I just use whichever one that I have on hand. Mostly it is used for texture rather than taste. This will soften the sandwich a little. My husband thinks the sandwich is too dry without that addition of cream cheese. I like it with or without. So if you don’t have some cream cheese on hand- no worries, it will still taste great.

3. Add the rest of your ingredients. I usually layer mine bacon first(2 slices), then tomato(2 slices), next avocado slices(about 5 slices or 1/2 an avocado), then I add the sprouts, and finally I top it off with the Munster cheese. Obviously the order of the ingredients isn’t a huge deal, but if I put the tomato or avocado on the bottom then I usually find the ingredients slide right off the bread, and sometimes onto the floor leaving me sad and very hungry. I’d play it safe with the bacon on the bottom :)

4. Put the sandwich in the oven on a low broil for about 3 minutes or until the cheese starts to bubble and turn brown. This step also crisps up the edges of the bread which is one of my favorite parts about this sandwich.

5. Enjoy!

SONY DSC

41D7BC788C40AFDD713E5833753FB8F5

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blog contents © better together 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.